CDL is the Commercial Driving Licence in India. The government of India issues this official document to the citizens for their ability to drive a motor vehicle on a road or highway. To ensure the safety of the citizens on the road, this document is provided after the person has passed the written and practical driving tests. Apart from serving as proof of one’s driving ability, the CDL serves as identity proof.
To get this document issued, one needs to fulfill certain requirements. The mandatory CDL requirements are listed below.
Common CDL requirements or eligibility
The documents required are rather secondary and, one needs to ensure that they are eligible first. Here are the eligibility criteria for CDL.
- To apply for CDL, one must obtain a learner’s license first. The age of a learner’s license is subjective to states. In some states, it is 18 and, in others, it is 22.
- One needs to have completed education till their 8th grade. It is the minimum education qualification.
- The applicant should also undergo mandatory training at any government motor school.
- The applicant should pass the written and practical driving tests as the final criteria for obtaining the CDL.
CDL requirements for documentation
The applicant must provide the following documents to meet the CDL requirements.
- Any address proof such as PAN Card, passport, ration card, etc.
- Identity proof such as PAN Card, passport, class 10th mark sheet, birth certificate, etc.
- Forum 2
- Forum 5
- Forum 1A
- Passport-sized photographs
- Application fee amount
How to apply?
One can apply for CDL either online or offline. For an online application, one needs to visit the website, fill in all the mandatory details, upload the documents and submit the form.
For offline application, one needs to visit the RTO office, collect the required forms, fill them out, attach the required documents, and submit the form. Irrespective of the mode of application, the applicant will then be called for a driving test as per the assigned serial number.
CDL is a government-authorized document to reflect the person’s ability to drive without putting the safety of other citizens to danger. Hence, one should read all eligibility and requirements carefully.